Life through rose-colored glasses:

Well, I'm off to the City of Lights...The City of Love...The home of Marie Antoinette...The Scene to hundreds of historical events...Paris. I am going to attempt this blog in order to keep my friends and family in the know and I am also attempting to use it as a sort of memory journal for when I return to the U.S. Well. Bon Voyage

Monday, July 5, 2010

"Qu'ils Mangent de la Brioche"










So, en francais, qu'ils mangent de la brioche roughly translates to "let them eat cake." So yes, this past Sunday, the group ventured out to Versailles and Giverny (where Monet lived and was inspired by his water lily garden) The trip was just absolutely amazing. Because of some rain overnight the day was much cooler (which was wonderful after a week of miserably hot days) As I am sure you already know, when Marie Antoinette first heard that the people had no way to eat bread, she did not understand that if they had no money for bread they obviously could not afford cake either. So the queen naively proclaimed "Let them eat cake."
We arrived at the Palace around 10:00 and began our tour of the chateau. One of the most amazing sights to me was the painted ceilings and the hidden door Marie Antoinette used to barely escape the angry, rioting women who broke into Versaille. (see pictures above...no need for words right?) After the chateau we ventured out to the gardens of Versailles, which were just absolutely breathtaking. From around eleven till noon, music was playing throughout the gardens and the fountains were running!!! What a sight and a strange feeling to know that I was able to experience the same views as Marie Antoinette. We had lunch by the long canal, where people were in canoes and enjoying the general splendor.
From Versailles we took about an hour long ride to Giverny! Unfortunately my camera died so all you see above from Giverny is from my iPhone...thank you apple for such wonderful cameras. The house of Monet was rather quaint and very uniquely decorated. The Impressionists were rather fond of Japanese artists and therefore; japanese painting it was. But enought with the house...the GARDENS! so breathtaking...daylilies everywhere, hidden paths to explore, weeping willows, and oh right waterlilies!!!!! We had quite awhile to meander about and then back to Paris!
Today, Monday, I had my first class! I am a bit torn as to whether or not I am in too easy of a class, BUT I love my proffessor and know that I definitely need a review. So, for the first two weeks I have Phonetics from eight till nine (whew so early)Then an hour and a half break for le petit dejuner (breakfast of course) and then cour pratique from 10:30 till 12:30. The last two weeks I will not have the Phonetics class, but will have conversation class in the afternoon for an hour, SO still much time to play!
I will post another soon I hope but until then au revoir!!!
Ps check the end of Bonjour Paris...I added some better detail about the pictures...

4 comments:

  1. Wow, looks and sounds amazing! So happy you are experiencing all of this. And phonetics is a great way to learn those "outrageous accents" of the French even better! So how do you say "hamburger" like Steve Martin? Have fun with classes. So glad you like your professor too! That's great to hear. I remember the ceiling at Versailles. So beautiful. And looking at the water lilies. Wow. I'm glad you had your phone as a back-up for pictures!
    love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine! If you think you're in too easy of a class then you are! Go get moved up and learn as much as you can and talk french as much as possible! AHHH what a wonderful chance to study at Sorbonne! For the rest of ta vie you'll be able to say "oh yeah Sorbonne, I spent a summer brushing up my French at Sorbonne!" Also, if you loved Giverny then you need to go check out L'Orangerie (maybe you already have). It's the museum in the gardens in front of the Louvre and it holds lots more of Monet's water lily tapestries. It actually had just opened the summer we went with Madame Harlan to Paris, but the lines were too long for us to go that trip. I'm sure you'll love it.
    Also, your pictures are so beautiful! I'm glad the weather cooled off some for your day trip.
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad you are getting to see so much! Loving the pictures. And I totally agree with your mom, please just learn how to say "hamburger" like Steve Martin, haha. Miss you tons but SO excited to see all you are doing. Let us know how the cooking classes go if/when you start taking those! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE all of your pictures...I am living vicariously through you now :) Looks like you are having an amazing time and experiencing so many cool things!!! And I bet your French classes will be perfect :) A great professor is totally worth it!! I'm sure Mom is proud of all of your flower pics! Love you and can't wait for your next post!!!
    Love, Jenn

    ReplyDelete