Life through rose-colored glasses:

Well, I'm off to the City of Lights...The City of Love...The home of Marie Antoinette...The Scene to hundreds of historical events...Paris. I am going to attempt this blog in order to keep my friends and family in the know and I am also attempting to use it as a sort of memory journal for when I return to the U.S. Well. Bon Voyage

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Quelle belle vie!















So this is going to be a pretty long one because I have not written to you in such a long time. here goes! Classes are still going great! I absolutely LOVE my teachers, they are quite witty and I love it! There are a few slightly annoying people in my class that hold us back due to their lack of having an attention span larger than a flea...BUT hey I'm in Paris...no complaints. I know many of you are wondering how I get to class each day (maybe just Mom...but you lucky readers get to hear it anyway!) Each morning, ending this Friday, I have phonetics at 8:00, in which I take the line 4 metro to the stop Raspail...which is about a good fifteen minute or so ride...so essentially I could walk there...if I were crazy. Then I take the metro again to the St. Michel stop where we walk a few blocks to class and usually catch le p'tit dej. (aka breakfast). Our favorite place to eat is at Crepe a gogo, which has the absolute best service and best breakfast a la francais! We get coffee (hot chocolate in my case...hello five year old) croissants, and bread! Jennifer you would love all the carbs here ha!
Last Wednesday night, me and about 8 girls when to the first showing of the new Twilight movie here in France! It was in V.O. which means the original version with french subtitles. It was quite the experience. The rest of the week was full of finding quaint cafes to sit and enjoy the french life.
BUT....are you ready for this???? really? are you sure? ok, I'll tell you already, sheesh!
Will came to visit me in PARIS!!!! What a surprise! He came in this past Saturday at around four in the afternoon (right after me and my friends Joanna and Jasmine got back from the flea market). We met each other at the St. Michel metro stop, where we went to settle him into his hotel. He stayed just two stops away from me which was so nice to be able to meet up easily each day.
The first night I took him to see the Citadinnes and to take him to my favorite Thai restraunt. After dinner we watched the football match and just enjoyed catching up.
The next day, Saturday, we ate an early lunch at a wonderful cafe next to the Seine and headed of to the Louvre...which I must say, turned out wonderfully because we both have very similar interests in art! We were able to spend time looking at the things we love and passing by (while apprectiating) the art we weren't too fond of. That night we watched the world cup at a little cafe.
Monday, Will met up with me and my friends for breakfast in between my two classes, and then we met up again at 2:30 after my COOKING class!
the CLASS...was amazing! I can now, with confidence, cook each of you Duck with a reduced cherry sauce on top of a bed of polenta...yum yum yum! How delicious!
That night...Will and I made our way to the eiffel tower for...get this...dinner! We ate atop the Eiffel Tower at 9:00 right when the sun was setting! We were served champagne and wine along with a starter of salmon and mixte veggies, then the main dish, then a dessert! Will got scallops with a side of delightful mashed potatoes, and I got the cod fish with lemon butter sauce and veggies and the mashed potatoes as well. My butter sauce came in the cutest, tiniest little saucer I have ever seen! And if you know me, you probably know that I might have fussed over it just a bit! For dessert will had the most wonderful vanilla ice cream sandwhiched in between a pastry-type bread/cookie with hot chocolate sauce drizzled on the top, while I had vanilla and rasberry sorbet surrounded with whipped cream! I know what a hard life right? So as we were finishing up dinner, our amazing waiter rushed up and handed me the little saucer and told me to quickly put it in my purse as a souvenir! It was the exact one I used at dinner...he said it was my little gift from the Eiffel Tower! Ah how fun!
After dinner we went back down the Eiffel tower at around 11:30 and went to the Champs de Mars and sat in the grass to wait for the twinkling of lights at midnight! It was absolutely magical! Because the metro closes at one on weekdays, Will dropped me off at the Citadinnes and we called it a night.
Yesterday we bopped around Paris for a bit, exploring some of the cobbled-stone lanes near his hotel and then headed to the theatre to watch a movie. We might have seen Twilight...so much fun. After the movie we grabbed a quick bite to eat at a little place that made gyro with lamb I think, that is what Will told me at least! It was quite delicious. And so we come to today. We met each other for breakfast and played our last bit of jin at the cafe Le Lutece. We figured we needed to have one last European Championship...Will won....so enough details on the European Championship...no hard feelings...Will then took the RER to Charles de Gaulle at around 12:30 and he just called me telling me he got to the Airport safely! It was so much fun showing him "my Paris." For the rest of the evening I am hanging out with my friends and we are going to try to catch the fireworks show for Bastille day (their July fourth) at the Eiffel Tower! Hopefully I won't wait to long to post again! Au Revoir!

3 comments:

  1. YAY for an update!!!! Your food looks DELICIOUS!! but there's something missing... a picture of your butter sauce dish!!!! I need to see it! I'm so glad Will got to come and visit--I'm sure that made the trip!! Looks (and sounds) like you had an awesome time!!! And you got to see Twilight...I still haven't seen it yet :( Bryan and I are headed to Chicago this weekend for Kate and Evan's wedding! We're excited to have a REUNION with familiar faces:) Wish I could be there with you and eat a bunch of carbs (Bread, wine, and cheese...I could live off of that for sure!!) Love you so much and can't wait to hear more!! Love, Jenn
    P.s. Maybe I'm paranoid, but the lady in your first pic of this post seems to be watching my every move...hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this update!!! Ditto on all that Jennifer said above! I could totally handle the wine, bread, cheese and butter diet! I'm also super impressed with your culinary skills. You're pictures are definitely making me hungry! :)
    I'm so, so happy that Will got to come visit you for so long. I mean, dinner atop the Eiffel Tower - amazing!!
    I can't wait to talk to you more and hear about all of your fantastic adventures!
    Love you so much and miss you!
    L

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me so happy! The food sounds amazing and I'm so glad you've found your favorite little places to eat and hang out! I know Dev and I will be more than happy if you want to fix your special duck when you get back (it's his favorite!). I'm so glad you are loving it all that Squilliam got to come visit! Yall look so cute and fancy with your Eiffel Tower pictures! And the fact that you got to steal away your saucer that you loved is just amazing! Keep having a blast! We will be roomies officially in one month!!!! Wooohoo!!! Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete